Nut Free, Gluten Free & Vegan
*Makes 12 regular bars*
In an effort to keep my snacking under control, I had the urge to make something sweet, crunchy, tasty, filling, HEALTHY, and all-around satisfying. Inspired by the famous GLO Bars from Oh She Glows, I wanted to challenge myself to re-create these using new ingredients and ramping up the superfoods.
Following the base recipe from Oh She Glows, I was able to substitute several ingredients with my favourite Miski Organics Superfoods and even added a few extra items to suit my taste… and let me tell you, the end result did not disappoint!
This super-charged energy bar is loaded with plant protein, fiber, amino acids, antioxidants, omegas and so much more! They are easy to make and easy to eat, and they’ll become your new go-to health snack. Don’t worry if you do not have some of these superfoods at home, I have provided some easy substitutes at the end of the post.
Click on each superfood below to learn all about the nutritional value of these incredible products.
– 1 Cup of Gluten Free Rolled Oats
– ½ Cup of Quinoa Flakes
– 1 ¼ Cup of Gluten Free Rice Crispy Cereal
– ¼ Cup of Hemp Hearts
– ¼ Cup of Sunflower Seeds
– ¼ Cup of Yacon Flakes
– 2 Tbs of Sesame Seeds
– 2 Tbs of Chia Seeds
– ½ Tsp of Mesquite Powder
– ¼ Cup of Cacao Nibs
– ⅓ Cup of Golden Berries
– ¼ Tsp of Salt
– ½ Cup of Brown Rice Syrup
– 1 Tbs of Coconut Oil
– ¼ Cup Sacha Inchi Butter or Sacha Inchi Choco-Butter
– 1 Tbs of Yacon Syrup
– 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Line a 12-inch rectangular pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- In a small pot over low heat, add the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, sacha inchi butter and yacon syrup. Once the mixture is warm and runny remove from heat and add in the vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is completely coated in the syrup.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Press down firmly with your fingers to cover the whole pan. (Tip: wet your hands with water beforehand to avoid the mixture from sticking to your fingers).
- Place the pan in the freezer, uncovered, for 10 minutes until the bars are firm.
- Remove the pan and place bars on a cutting board. With a pizza slicer or sharp knife, slice the bars into twelve equal pieces.
- You can store the bars in the fridge or freezer. Let them sit at room temperature a few minutes before munching!
This recipe focuses on using superfoods to increase the nutritional value of each bar. The substitutes below will work just as well, but the nutritional content will change.
- Quinoa Flakes (can use rolled oats)
- Yacon Flakes (can use shredded coconut)
- Mesquite Powder (can use cinnamon)
- Cacao Nibs (can use chocolate chips)
- Golden Berries (can use cranberries or other dried fruit)
- Sacha Inchi Butter (can use sun butter or regular nut butter)
- Yacon Syrup (can use maple or agave syrup)
– This recipe is 100% Vegan, Gluten Free & Nut Free
– I use the Miski Organics brand because of the quality of the products and flavours I like. You may use other brands and even substitute the superfoods for more commonly found ingredients, but the nutritional content and flavour will vary.
– There is no additional sugar than what is naturally already in the ingredients